As a department we firmly believe in participation for all. We ensure that all pupils are given the opportunity to experience a wide variety of sporting activities that enable them to develop practical, analytical and social skills.
Key Stage 3
All pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9 will participate in 4 x 60 minute lessons per fortnight. During the Key Stage they cover the following activities: fitness, games, dance, trampolining and outdoor and adventurous activities.
- Fitness: The aim of this unit is to develop pupils’ understanding of their own fitness and how improving their fitness impacts on their health and well-being.
- Games: Pupils will be taught how to use a range of strategies and tactics to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games including football, rugby, netball, basketball, rounders, cricket and badminton.
- Dance: Pupils will perform dances using advanced techniques within a variety of dance styles and themes.
- Trampolining: Pupils will be taught a variety of trampolining skills which they will be required to use to plan, perform and evaluate routines.
- Outdoor and adventurous activities: Pupils will be presented with intellectual and physical challenges through activities such as problem-solving, team building, orienteering and climbing.
Key Stage 4
All pupils in Years 10 and 11 take part in 2 x 60 minute lessons of core PE per fortnight. During these lessons they will take part in fitness, games, trampolining and outdoor and adventurous activities. During these lessons the focus is very much on lifelong sports participation and encouraging the pupils to work independently. Some pupils opt to be Sports Leaders where they can gain an internal qualification for their voluntary work with our feeder primaries and local secondary schools through sports events.
In addition to the above pupils have the opportunity to opt for BTEC sport and/or GCSE PE. These courses build on practical ability and develop the theoretical aspects of physical education. We currently follow the Edexcel specification for GCSE PE.
To view the BTEC sport level 2 award and GCSE PE specification please click the following link:
The PE department offers an extra-curricular programme where activities are offered at lunchtime and after school. Pupils are encouraged to come along to have fun whilst developing their skills and knowledge. Teams regularly take part in inter school competitions. For pupils studying GCSE PE or BTEC sport there are revision sessions after school on a fortnightly basis. Please see the relevant sections on the school website for extra-curricular activities and revision timetables.
Head of Department
Mrs V Jackson